...in front of the Squadron First Sergeant for the 8th straight working day...
What had I done wrong? What could have possibly gone wrong in my life that has brought me to this place over and over and over again?
And then as I look at the young Marine standing at attention next to me, I remember...nothing. I was there on his behalf (again) listening to him answer for all of his misbehavior over the past couple of weeks. I was there to hear him answer the question of "why were you UA (not where he was supposed to be)?" with, "I was tired."
"Why are you so tired, video games?" The 1stSgt asked.
"No. I was doing my homework, 1stSgt." Says the PFC.
"Then why do you have constant counselings about you not doing your homework, Marine?"
"1stSgt, I keep falling asleep."
Times like these I know I'm going to miss come July 11th when Im officially done with the Marine Corps. Over the past 8 days I have taken young Marine after young Marine to see the 1stSgt or the Commanding Officer and each day, during what we've dubbed as "the awkward ride", I get to see a little growth in each one (it's not a fungus). These past 8 days I have truly seen how the Marine Corps works and it's a process that keeps this an elite organization. And one that I will ALWAYS be proud to be a member of!
"The Marine Corps doesn't have the best people in it, just people who give their best. And THAT is what makes us so damn great!"
- 1stSgt Glass
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment